Sunday, December 7, 2014

My Weight loss journey to date

Sometimes it feels like I haven't made any progress with my weight, then I have to remind myself of a few things:
A) I'm in better shape than I've been in decades.I work out seven days a week as opposed to the 2-3 days a week I was doing last year. Getting on a treadmill for 20 minutes 2 days a week and calling yourself "getting into shape" just didn't work for me. Other people have different experiences but coming home and having to peel off my sweat filled T-shirt and hearing it go "Thud!" when I drop if on the floor is a badge of honor now.
B) I've, to this day, lost 63 lbs and nearly 20% of my former body weight in less than a year through straight diet and exercise. My initial goal on a 75lb. weight loss is so close, I can taste it.
c)I won't be sporting a speedo anytime soon because I'm starting to look like a sharpei ,lol. At the same time, I can feel my ribcage, my pelvic bones and my knees. I don't suffer from the water retention or swelling of the extremities I was for years. I sleep more, I 'm happier in general, I don't feel stressed out and angry as much. Loose skin is a bitch to wrap your mind around.
D) Yes, angry. I know I don't show it much, but I have a temper that I work very, very hard to keep in check. I have for years, and It taken a very long time for me to find a balance. Which is probably part of the reason I vent as much as I do about the world on FB. I was starting to get to a point where I was having a hard time controlling it again, a place I haven't been in years, since before Karine and I met. Catie has only seen me get made a few times and once was some poor schlub from Time Warner customer service.
E)There's a side benefit as well. As Karine and I have gotten into better shape, Catie has taken more interest in healthy eating and fitness. We're not pushing it on her at all, she says little things that make me feel like "wow, we're really influencing her!".
Some people have asked what am I doing in terms of diet, exercise, etc.. it's really basic stuff, to be honest. In terms of food,the biggest changes is I've reduced my intake of dairy. I still eat a bit of cheese but no where close to what I was eating before. I've had Pizza maybe six times in the last 7 months, and never more than 2 slices at the most. I've starting using soy milk in my coffee ( I know, some people say soy is bad for you, I'm trying to find a different type of creamer), I don't drink alcohol except for the occasional glass of wine. I've stopped drinking beer entirely. I've cut stuff out like macaroni and cheese, anything in heavy sauces. I still eat fried food occasionally, but extremely rarely now. I still eat cheeseburgers and hotdogs, but again It's in moderation. I cut out chain fast food entirely. If i'm going to have a burger, i'll pay the freight for Shake shack of Lucky's before I'll walk into another McDonald's ever again. half of my problems were because sometimes I wouldn't eat in the morning because I was working so much and then just grab whatever was fastest. So I promised myself that I would cut it all out even if it takes a little longer to cook and costs a few dollars more.
More vegetables, more fruit, giving thought to what i put in my mouth and when.
Sleep: That's a big one, because I was trapped in a cycle for years where I was only getting 4 hours of sleep a night. I don't stay up past 11pm and I sleep 6-7 hours a night now, usually waking up between 4:30 and 5:30 am.
Exercise: Cliche's as it sounds, if you want to make a lifestyle change (and that's what this is) you have to change everything. I walk and run 5 miles a day. No excuses. if I stop, I die has become my mantra.I'm working up to jogging more but i'm on the road, rain or shine 7 days a week. I walk everywhere I can now as well. It's easier for me than most because I live in NYC, but it's imperative. Activity, any kind of intense aerobic activity. I'm just sorry it took me this long to accept it, especially at my age.
So that's that. Just wanted to get some thoughts out. Everyday is a new challenge and I plan on keeping this going for as long as my knees hold out and my heart won't quit on me.
PS. I scared the shit out of some woman this morning because I was too busy listening to Colt Cabana's podcast with CM Punk. I forget that at 6 am dressed in my sweats and gloves, i look like a cross between the Unibomber and OJ Simpson.

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
One of the most popular and prolific pencillers in the comic book industry, Jamal Igle is an award winning artist and writer. Best known for his run on Supergirl with writer Sterling Gates, Jamal has been a professional jack of all trades for nearly 20 years, drawing every title from Action Comics to Zatanna for DC Comics. A former comics retailer, Editor for several small press companies including TV Comics, Airwave Comics and Destination Entertainment. Former Junior Art Director and Marketing rep in the Advertising and publishing arenas. Jamal's clients include Marvel Comics, image Comics, Dark Angel productions/ Simmons and Company, Devil's Due Studios, Crusade Entertainment, Walt Disney inc., Sony Television, CBS Television and Scholastic Entertainment. Jamal has also worked as a conceptional artist for the Toy and gaming industries as well as film and television. Jamal is married to his beautiful, and much smarter wife Karine.They're also the proud parents of an extremely cute child named Catherine and a Cat named Loustique